Sunday, June 3, 2007

Arrival at Nihongo Kokusai Center

Arrived in Tokyo yesterday afternoon around 1pm. I somehow managed to get a cell phone and find the right train to take me to Nippori station. I was completely zonked and not looking forward to trying to find my way to the Nihongo Kokusai Center on my own. Lucky for me, Terumi-san was waiting at the station to take me there. Talking with her and walking from the station to the dorm gave me a second wind so I did a little exploring on my own later in the day.

The part of the city where we are staying is called Kita Urawa. It seems to be a mainly residential area with a little "down town" area near the station, kind of like a suburb I guess. Much different feel though than New York or Columbus suburbs. Cleaner, less cars, lots and lots of bicycles. It seems most people walk and use public transportation.

I noticed as we were walking to the dorm that all the bikes lining the sidewalk did not seem to be locked up. Terumi seemed amused by my question and said that no, they don't usually lock their bikes. I guess Miho and others were right when they said that people don't steal here. (Recalling that she claimed to have lost her wallet several times in Tokyo and every time it was returned to her with nothing taken from it!)

The place we are staying is the Nihongo Kokusai Center. Most of the other people staying here are studying to be Japanese teachers. The facilities are really great -- computer lab, lounges,
convenience store, a cafeteria, free bikes to borrow, etc.

While searching for some dinner last night came across this display that reminded me of Taiwan. It's all plastic representations of the food they serve put into a display case so you can just point. How convenient for the dumb foreigner! It made me laugh remembering the same oddly practical displays in Taiwan so I took a pic. More interesting pics to come, I promse.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

you made it! yayayay! glad to hear you made it there safe! i miss you!

Unknown said...

Interesting...biking everywhere...

Wonder how people get home from the grocery store on a bike with a week's worth of groceries? Or take kids places they need to be? Guess those questions answer themselves - totally different lifestyle there!

<3 Mom